Friday, November 11, 2011

Happy Veteran's Day

I have been waiting for the opportunity to write on this topic and I can't think of a better place than today.  Today I am thankful for all the men and women who have served and are serving this country in our armed forces.  Today is Veteran's Day and I want to say thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

Let me say thank you to several people I know personally for their service:

John Oswald, United States Navy
Mike Henderson, United States Air Force
Arthur "Billy" Henderson, United States Navy
Billy Lankford, United States Army
Glen Stetler, United States Marine Corps
Joe Clubb, United States Marine Corps
Ernie Gaudette, United States Army
Jason Compton, United States Marine Corps
"Buddy" Gilmore, United States Marine Corps

And to those who still serve this country like

Joseph Campbell, United States Army
Shay Stetler, United States Marine Corps
Laura Bozeman, United States Army

Lastly while it isn't Memorial Day, I cannot help but think of Veterans who gave the ultimate sacrifice for their country.  As I sit here drinking my Earl Grey tea at Starbucks and writing the Opinion of the Minion, I know this would not be possible without the sacrifices of people like:

Blake Russell, United States Army
Tristan Aiken, United States Army

I apologize to all the men and women I know who I did not specifically mention in this post.  I hope you all know that I have the utmost respect for you and want to say thank you all for your service.

As I sit reflecting on our Veterans, I think of the conflicts that have come during my lifetime.  There was Vietnam, Iraq, Iraq, and Afghanistan plus several others.  As I think about the men and women who went and continue to go to these places thousands of miles away from their families, I can't help but wonder why they did it and do it.  Is it for money?  Heavens no.  Many of them cannot pay their bills.  Is it for glory?  I don't think so because there is nothing glorious about watching your buddy being hurt.  Is it because we will pay for them to go to college after their service?  The vast majority of our fighting men and women never go to college afterwards.  So why is it?

I think most of the time its because they have an overriding sense of patriotism.  These men and women still believe that this country is the greatest country on earth.  They still believe that this is "One Nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."  Is this country flawed?  Yes.  But these men and women still believe in the fabric of America.  They still want to make sure their husbands, wives, sons and daughters have a place to grow where the flag still stands for freedom.  So instead of going to law school and med school or going to Wall Street to make their millions, they take an oath to defend this country against all enemies foreign and domestic.

Instead of a suit or medical scrubs, they put on their Battle Dress Uniforms and go to work every day.  As they stand watch for us there is no holiday.  Instead of taking their families to the movies, they leave their families behind and go to protect our way of life.  I cannot think of words that would adequately say thank you for your service.  Freedom is never free.  Jesus paid for our freedom from sin with the blood from his veins.  When I think about the freedom I have to write these opinions and live my life, I know that my freedom didn't come free.  It wasn't even cheap, it was extremely expensive and I greatly value it.  There have been millions over the years who have paid for it and there many men and women who stand ready right now to protect my ability to write this.

Whether or not you agree with any of the wars that we have been in recently, know this.  A politician thousands of miles from a battlefield ordered these men and women into combat.  If you don't agree with the decision of those politicians, feel free to protest.  Know this - there are men and women today who are standing guard to make sure you have that ability.  If you see one of them, please take the time to say thank you.

To all of you who have served or serve today in the Armed Forces of the United States of America, please accept a very humble thank you from one grateful citizen.  These words are not nearly enough to express my gratitude.

This is the Opinion of the Minion

1 comment: