Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Classics

Anyone who knows me understands that this is something out of the norm for me. I have decided to give this a try and see what happens.

My first blog is about books that are "the classics."

Below please find thoughts -

1.  The Old Man and the Sea - Hemmingway
     This book was awful.  I absolutely don't get one iota of this book.  I understand the idea behind it that we all suffer through things in life.  But really, if I want that there are at least 5 networks off the top of my head that I can turn on at 5 p.m. and see plenty of these same types of stories.  It was terrible.

2.  To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee
     This book is a must read.  Not only is there a story with a real plot but there is a very important underlying message that we could all learn from.

3.  The Odyssey - Homer
     That book is perfect for insomnia.  I think Homer was an early lawyer because he took a thousand pages for a 150 page story.  At least there was some plot to it and the book is really old.  Other than that, I don't get it.

4.  The Count of Monte Cristo - Dumas
     This was one of the best books I have ever read.  The time frame can cause a little problem but it had more turns, twists and plot changes than I thought it would.  In the end, there was also a very good moral point to this story.

5.  Little Women - Alcott
     I am currently suffering through this book.  Alcott was definitely a tease.  There are brief glimmers of a plot and then more drivel.  Does this ever go anywhere?

This is attempt one.  Please let me know your thoughts.

The Minion

5 comments:

  1. 1. Agreed. Completely pointless.
    2. Agreed. One of the best books ever written.
    3. Haven't read it. For a reason. (borrrring)
    4. Agreed. Awesome book.
    5. No. It doesn't go anywhere. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Never read it. After your review, probably never will.
    2. 9th grade English. Absolutely loved it!
    3. 9th grade Enlgish. Very long and tedious for a freshman in high school. I couldn't agree more. The guy was very verbose. I would like to point out the lawyer in you though Mr. Minion (Below please find...). I don't know how many times I've written Enclosed please find. :-)
    Anyways, to not bash the 8th Century Greek too much, what else did he have to do back then but write long, detailed stories...besides, marathons weren't cool yet. LOL.
    4. 10th grade English. Definitely the best book I read that year and in my top five ever.
    5. 8th grade beating, I mean English. Nuff said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I guess Homer didn't have much else to do. ;). Are you bagging on lawyers? :). At least I got a manicure once. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely not bagging on lawyers...I would never bite the hand that feeds. I might poke at that hand however. :-)
    You've got me beat in the mani dept. Wonder what that means about me and more importantly, you? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK. Ms. English Major, I am going to give this another try. Unfortunately, I don't have a great comeback. I guess I will have to continue this in person when I get home. The Minion

    ReplyDelete