Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Don't Stay Down

Today let's talk a minute about life.  Frank Sinatra sang a song called, "The Good Life" and I think that life is very good most days.  But have you ever faced days when life wasn't so good?  I know I have.  Those aren't fun right.

Sometimes we face those days because we have created a bad situation on our own.  Maybe we forgot to turn in our homework and got a 0 or maybe someone drove a car while they were drunk and got arrested.  There is a large spectrum of things that can happen along these lines.  But sometimes bad things happen that we didn't create.

Maybe you caught your boyfriend or girlfriend cheating on you.  You didn't cause it but that doesn't change how bad it hurts right.  I know that there are times in my life when it feels like things are going great and then something happens and life just knocks you down.  That's never a fun place.  I know that when I have been in the most difficult parts of my life, it would have been easy just stop right there.  After all, somethings just knock the wind out of your sails.

Well, there is a country singer and I don't remember the name of the song but he says, "If you're going through hell, keep on going."  See the only person that can truly ruin your life is you!  You might agree with me.  Maybe you think that a drug problem or a failed marriage is what ruined your life.  Now don't get me wrong.  I'm not saying that any of these things are good for you but they aren't what ruins your life.  Your life is only permanently harmed when you quit living it.  When you decide to stay down, then life gets hard.  So what should you do when you get knocked down?  The answer is surprisingly simple.  Get up!!!

Pretty sophisticated answer huh.  "But I'm hurt.  You don't know what I've been through, " you say.  That's absolutely true.  I don't.  But God does.  I am not all that old yet but I hear people tell me stories about their lives.  Some of them say things like, "I could have been a this or that but some even in my life stopped me from achieving my dream."  They got knocked down and didn't get back up.

Some of you may know that I am a lawyer (or barrister in some parts of the world).  Guess what - I'm not a very good one.  Why?  Because I don't practice law.  But I'm a lawyer anyway.  Do you know how I made it through school and passed the bar.  I refused to quit.  When something knocked me down, I got back up.  I had people tell me that I couldn't do it.  My own family didn't have faith in me and that knocked me down but I refused to stay down.  I just got back up and went at it again.

I cannot tell you how many times I tried a diet and failed.  Normally when I failed at one, I would gain all the weight I lost back plus some.  So not only was the diet a failure but I was worse off after the diet that before.  But I kept coming.  Every time I got knocked down, I got up and tried again.  Eventually I lost 160 pounds and I have kept the vast majority of it off since.

So what am I really trying to say - DON'T QUIT.  Not now, not ever.  If something happens that knocks you down, get back up and try again.  Remember the old saying.  If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

Well, I have blogged myself happy again and that's another Opinion of the Minion.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Mr. Minion, otherwise known as my son.

    I am so glad you pursued and got Attorney's license.

    There is one thing, I would like to publicly and personally clarify--I NEVER doubted your ability to endure all those years of study. In fact I even cosigned a loan to help keep you in school... I just wondered ever ONCE in awhile if you would continue to choose to study and stay in school.

    Back to your blog--I agree with you--pursue your dream, your dream of being the person you want to be, getting the education you want or your dream of working at the type of job you want. As a child I played teacher all the time. When I got to college--I hit Spanish and quit. WRONG or LOSS as you and your son say.. I should have gotten a tutor, done the best I could in Spanish and gotten my teaching degree.
    I would have been much happier all my working years... Mr. Minion and Winston Churchill are right- NEVER,NEVER,NEVER,NEVER give up on life in general or pursuing you dreams.

    ReplyDelete