Wednesday, June 8, 2011

What is Love?

What I share today may not be anything new to you but I want you to consider for a moment what is Love.
Is it a state of being?  We say we are “in love” with our spouse.  What does that mean?  Does that mean that we are content to live in the same house, share the same responsibilities, enjoy having that person as company to share life.  Is he or she someone who gives you stability and someone you want to mother/father your children?  Are we happy to have a companion?  Of course marriage goes much deeper but you get the point.

Is it an emotion?  We say that we feel loved or we feel love for someone.  Who doesn’t like that first kiss if it is a good one or the feeling we feel when we hold someone’s hand and take a walk?  How great does it feel when you take her in your arms and dance a slow waltz (or just hold her) while you stare deeply into her eyes and you see that twinkle in her eye that says she is totally yours.  The smile on her face, touches your core and you wish you could stay in that exact moment forever.

Is it something higher?  Why is it we “love” our children when they are first born.  They can’t do anything for us.  As a matter of fact, they are really just a drain on us as newborns.  The constantly require attention – feed me, change my diaper, change my clothes, bathe me, I am going to sleep when I want and when I am tired of sleeping, I am going to wake you up regardless of whether or not you have gotten any sleep.  Yet, we love these little people.  We protect them, we cloth them, we play with them.

Is it a catalyst that causes us to do something?  When you truly love your kids, your spouse or your significant other, you are motivated to do something for them.  For those of you who have children, what happens when your seven year old comes up to you out of the blue and says, “Mommy or Daddy, I love you”?  When that happens to me, my first thought is how can I bless you?  What can I do for you? 

Is it something else?

The answer goes a little deeper.  All these things are the effect of love.  The bible says that God is love.  It doesn’t say he is in love (state of being), he loves (a verb) or he feels love (an emotion).  It says he his love.  While he does the things I listed, they are outgrowths of who he is.  The bible also says we are made in his image which means we are made like him.  That means love is who we are.  It is the genetic matter of our spirit.

Because I am love:
1. I can be "in love" with a spouse.
2. Seeing that look in her eyes, holding her in my arms and feeling the brush of her lips against mine causes me to feel warm all over.
3.  I care for and about my children.
4.  I am motivated to do things for others.

Now some of you may be saying, I really don’t feel or do those things you listed.  Let me tell you – that’s OK just don’t stay that way.  Think for a second about your physical body.  The first day you were born, could you run a race?  Of course not!  Your body had to develop and strengthen to the point where you could.  The potential was in you but that potential had to be developed.  If you don’t act in love the way you should, understand that you have to grow and develop that potential just like anything else.

We should constantly look for places to develop ourselves (love) today.  Show the real you (love) to someone else today.
 
And that’s the Opinion of the Minion.

No comments:

Post a Comment